Useful Information


1. Credentials Assessment – Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC)

Foreign Credentials Recognition

  • Information and referral on the assessment of foreign credentials, the recognition of qualifications, prior learning assessment and recognition, and credential evaluation services in Canada
  • Canada's Academic Credential Evaluation Services: Foreign Credential Evaluation, Assessment and Recognition of Qualification  

Studying in Canada

  • Information and referral for people who would like to pursue their higher studies in Canada; consult the Directory of Universities, Colleges and Schools in Canada
  • Education in Canada: Referrals and resources on all aspects of postsecondary and higher education in Canada's provinces and territories, including CICIC's Directory of Universities, Colleges and Schools in Canada

Working in Canada

  • Information and referral for people interested in coming to work in Canada
  • Consult detailed occupational profiles on selected professions and trades

Studying Abroad

  • Information and referral for people who want to study outside Canada
  • Education in the World: Referrals and resources on education in the other countries and regions of the world and on regional and international treaties regulating the recognition of foreign degrees, qualifications and credentials

The Quebec immigration homepage offer additional information for potential students to Quebec. For people wanting to come to there for their studies, a typical procedure is suggested to assist in one’s proceedings.

2. Credentials Assessment – Kultusministerkonferenz (KMK) Germany

In Germany, Canadian Master and PhD degrees are accepted as equal to German university degrees and Canadian scholars should not have any problems with the assessment of their credentials in Germany. The central body for the assessment of international degrees in Germany is the Kultusministerkonferenz (KMK), which provides guidelines to German universities for the assessment of foreign academic degrees. However, it is the individual university’s responsibility to decide first about the validity of an international degree as students or scholars apply for admission directly with the academic institutions. In certain cases the KMK might be required to settle uncertainties but, in general, Canadians should not encounter any difficulties with their degrees in Germany. Please visit the KMK at:

A database system with information on the recognition of foreign degrees in Germany is  referred to as anabin:

3. Immigration Regulations and Visa Requirements

Please note that the following information on visa requirements might be subject to change. We recommend that you contact the respective embassies for up-to-date information.

Canadian Embassy in Berlin:

Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Ottawa:

4. Study in Canada

In almost all cases you must have a study permit to study in Canada. If you wish to study in Quebec, you will also require a ”Certificat d’acceptation du Québec“. Foreign nationals may enter Canada or remain in Canada without a study permit to attend a course or study program of six months’ duration or less. Study permits can be only issued to students who will be enrolled/ registered as students at a Canadian academic institution.

5. Research in Canada

Professors and academic experts may come to Canada to evaluate or supervise academic projects, research proposals or university theses without a work permit. This applies to Canadian research organizations as well as academic institutions. For further information on jobs exempt from the work permit requirement please visit

6.     Study and Research in Germany

Canadian nationals wishing to stay in Germany longer than three months, and who plan to take up employment or to study in Germany, require a visa. However, they do not need to obtain the visa prior to entering Germany. If they prefer to apply for a visa and, if necessary, a work permit, in advance, i.e. to prepare their stay, to speed up proceedings at the German authority for foreigners (Ausländerbehörde) applications can be made in person at one of the German missions in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver depending on the applicant's place of residence. For further information please visit the website of the German Embassy in Ottawa at

Information on visa requirements can also be found at

or on the website of the German Foreign Ministry at