Ocean S&T Spotlight - January 2019
The Canadian Ocean Literacy Coalition
The Canadian Ocean Literacy Coalition (COLC) officially launched at the G7 meetings in Halifax on September 20th, 2018, and has since grown into a network of 200+ member organizations.
Through a National Coordinator (Diz Glithero), an Advisory Council, and 5 regional working groups (Arctic/Inuit Nunangat, Pacific, Atlantic, Inland and Great Lakes/St. Lawrence), COLC is working towards three key objectives over the next two years to:
- build a national strategy that identifies and addresses ocean literacy (OL) priorities, gaps, recommendations, and implementation plan(s);
- establish and support an active OL research and monitoring program for Canada; and
- amplify OL initiatives and joint activities of COLC members that catalyze broad momentum and public engagement across Canada.
To become a COLC member, head to our website and join for free today. To get involved with one of the 5 regional working groups or the OL research committee, send us an e-mail at Admin@COLCoalition.ca. Follow us on Twitter @CANoceanlitCO and check us out on Facebook!
Contest! Help Name the New Ship Time Application for Canada!
Did you know that ORCA members are co-developing a national ship time application? This is a web-based system that, once complete, will connect users and providers in the Canadian ocean science community to better coordinate and consolidate access to research vessels and facilitate the sharing of infrastructure using a simple online platform.
We need your help naming this application! When submitting a name for consideration, be sure that it is bilingual, intuitive and easy to understand. Please submit your entry here by February 15th for a chance to win an ORCA prize!
For those who wish to help shape this tool, stay tuned for an announcement regarding upcoming beta testing of the application.
Upcoming Ocean-Related Events
- Ocean Networks Canada Board Meeting – Victoria Jan 16
- Arctic Frontiers Conference – Norway Jan 20-24
- Mariner’s Workshop 2019 – Vancouver Jan 23-24
- International LIDAR Mapping Forum – Denver, USA Jan 28-30
- International Sea Turtle Symposium – Charleston, USA Feb 2-8
- Date modified: