The information below describes how funding under the Program Coordination and Indigenous Partnerships subprogram will be allocated.
The funding available for projects under this subprogram in the 2019-2020 fiscal year is set at $1.075 million for ongoing projects.
5.1 Coordination and Administration of the Northern Contaminants Program
The Northern Contaminants Program (NCP) Secretariat prepares two proposals for review by the NCP Management Committee to cover the costs and expenses of: (1) administering the program; and (2) for coordination of NCP activities in related international initiatives, particularly the Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP), a Working Group under the Arctic Council. These proposals include costs for NCP meetings, publications and website and program-wide communications, data management, and a quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) program.
5.2 Indigenous Partner Capacity Building
The four northern Indigenous Partners (Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami (ITK), Inuit Circumpolar Council (ICC (Canada)), Dene Nation and Council of Yukon First Nations (CYFN)) will be funded for their active participation in the management and implementation of the NCP and its activities, both nationally and in the region(s) for which they are the relevant Indigenous organization. This is to ensure that the NCP incorporates and addresses Indigenous specific concerns and needs into its planning and program delivery, and to facilitate the exchange of information and coordination of activities among and between the NCP community and Indigenous organizations at various levels and Northern communities. Activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Participating in and preparing for Management Committee meetings (twice annually in-person plus by teleconference, as needed).
- Participating in and preparing for Regional Contaminants Committee meetings
- Participating in meetings of NCP subcommittees and/or task groups, and other related initiatives nationally or internationally
- Reviewing regionally relevant NCP projects and consulting with project leaders and communities as necessary.
- Conducting outreach activities related to the NCP
- Participating in the NCP Results Workshop and contributing to its success in part by assisting the NCP Secretariat in workshop planning and delivery
- Providing timely input and feedback in the development of and/or revisions to key NCP documents.